Thursday, March 8, 2018

A Classic by an Author that is New to You



     Continuing on with my Back to the Classics challenge!  I read Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy for the "A Classic by an Author that is New to You" category and I thoroughly enjoyed it!   My copy had a lengthy introduction to Thomas Hardy that was quite interesting since I knew nothing about him. 
       Bathsheba Everdeen was a woman through and through.  I feel like some women might be insulted by the way she was portrayed but I just thought it showed a very good understanding on Hardy's part and often made me laugh!  lol
        There was great character growth and development and I'm so excited to discuss it with my book club.  My only complaint is that the ending felt rather abrupt to me. 

1 comment:

Carol said...

I love Hardy's writing although I found Tess of the d'Urbervilles' too depressing. Bathsheba I wanted to kick every now and again but I did enjoy the book.