Friday, February 23, 2018

A Classic That Scares You

So, originally Bleak House didn't scare me.  I didn't know much about it honestly but I liked the other books by Dickens I had read and I was able to get the unabridged Audible version for a dollar or two so I downloaded it....and then I saw that it was over 35 hours long!!!!!!  EEK!!!!  Then I was scared!  lol!!! 

If you're like me and you don't know much about Bleak House I'll give you a VERY brief overview.  An illegitimate child grows up with a mysterious benefactor.  She meets this benefactor when she comes of age and she and two other dependents live a very happy life with him for a while.  A "chancery" case of an inheritance and a very bleak overview of the English legal system weave through the entire story and a mysterious murder takes up some time too. 

I was engaged for the entire story and enjoyed it very much!

1 comment:

Major said...

Though the characters were lovable they were still Dickensesque people: the impossibly good (Esther Summerson, John Jarndynce, Allan Woodcourt) versus the impossibly bad (Tulkinghorn, Krook, Vholes). And when introduced a new major character, lawyer Vholes, on like blooming page 500, I cried, "Uncle!" But the climax is incredible, one of the best set-pieces I've ever read.