Saturday, February 24, 2018

20th Century Classic



I finished my 20th Century Classic for the Back to the Classics Challenge today!  (That was a classic written between 1900 and 1968.  Animal Farm was copywritten in 1946)  

This book is assigned in term 2 of Ambleside Online for Year 6 and I had never read it so I was excited to read it along with my 11 year old (we didn't read it together, I just "pre-read" all her books...usually I'm only about a week ahead of her!  lol)

I actually had no idea that it was a social commentary on communism when I started it.  I had no idea what it was about at all.  It is blatantly about communism though.   So far Kessa hasn't made that connection and I'm not sure if she will until we study communism more in-depth.  We covered it very briefly at the beginning of the school year.  For now, that's fine.  She's enjoying it simply as a novel.  I'm interested to hear her final thoughts after she reads the last two chapters though!  

No comments: